uk student visa 2021

How do I get a UK Student Visa? : : UK student visa requirements in 2021

How to get a uk student visa in 2021-22

After a lot of hard work, you were finally admitted to a university in the UK. But before you can start packing your bags and jetting off, you have to make sure you have the proper paperwork ready to start studying in uk 2021.

The following article brought to you by Kampus Group is meant to offer you a complete guide to make your visa application process for the UK as swift and less stressful for you as possible.

Find out if you require a valid visa to study in the UK

For international students, Brexit has created a lot of confusion for those who want to study or are already studying for a degree within the UK and wanting to get a UK Student Visa. At Kampus Group we’ll do our best to clarify the changes for international students and for those who require a visa to study in the United Kingdom:

  • EU/EEA and Swiss students
  • If you arrive in the UK before 31 December 2020, you will not need a visa
  • If you arrive in the UK on or after 1 January 2021, you will not need a visa
  • If you started studying before 31 December 2020 and want to continue studying after 1 January 2021, you will need to apply for a settlement scheme before 30 June 2021.

Citizens from Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein may benefit from the same rules and regulations, but they should always check what visa regulations apply individually.

  • Non-EU/EEA students
  • The ultimate factor is on the length of their designated degree, non-EU/EEA students need to apply either for a Short-Term Study Visa or a General Student Visa which is also called Tier 4 Student Visa.
  • To find out if you need a visa in the UK it is advised to look on the UK Government website.
  • The next step is to find out what type of visa you need to study in the UK
  • These are the 2 types of visas for which you may need to apply to become a UK student:
  • A Short-Term Study Visa is available for the duration of 6 or 11 months. This is for students who plan to study a short language course or take up a short period of research if it is required as part of their degree.

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa is for students who enroll in an academic degree such as a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD course. The Tier 4 Student Visa doesn’t have a specific time set, in fact, the determining factor is based on the length of your studies which ultimately determines how long your visa lasts.

When and where to apply for the UK student visa?

There are two paths to go down to get your UK Student Visa, first, you can apply for a student visa via the UK embassy in your country or you can do it online through the official UK Government website.

Depending on your nationality, you might need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at the visa application center which is part of the biometric residence permit (which will be required as part of your application).

Tips for your visa application

  • The visa application process has been changing since 1 January of 2021. To view the latest up-to-date information, always visit the official UK Government website consistently.
  • Please do not leave your visa application until the very last minute. Usually, it takes about 3 weeks to receive the official Tier 4 Student Visa. It is advised to start the visa application process 3 months in advance.
  • Make sure you have the certificate of acceptance for studies also known as CAS from your university before applying for your student visa.
  • Make sure you get all the information needed before you start the application process.
    Make sure the institution you are applying to is also licensed.
  • Universities always have trained visa advisors in the team that are there to answer your questions about the Tier 4 student visa and guide you through the application process.

Conditions you need to meet to receive your Tier 4 visa

  • Be over 16 years old
  • Speak, read, and understand English
  • Have a sufficient amount of money to support yourself during your studies
  • Withhold an unconditional offer of study from a licensed university in the UK

Language requirements for studying in the UK

To prove that your knowledge and proficiency of spoken and written English meets British visa requirements, you will need to pass a secure English language test also known as the SELT. You must meet the CEFR level B2 of language proficiency barrier if you’re studying at a degree level or higher.

In some cases for international students coming from certain countries, proof of English proficiency may not be needed if they’ve completed a qualification equivalent to the UK degree.

Documents required for a UK student visa;

  • A completed visa application form
  • Passport or travel documentation
  • One passport-sized photograph
  • Proof that you can support yourself during your studies in the UK £1,265 a month if you live in London and the sum of £1,015 per month for the rest of the UK
  • Parental consent is required if you’re under 18 years old
  • Tuberculosis test results, this is required for citizens of certain countries
  • Proof of paying the visa application fee which is the sum of £348
  • Immigration Health Surcharge which is the sum of £150 per year of study
    Self-assessment form Appendix 8 with the attached documents, this is not required if you apply online

Any documents that have to be submitted as part of the Appendix 8 form, which are not in English or Welsh language, must be accompanied with an official full translation that can be checked off by the UK Border Agency.
Here are the ‘simplified’ visa rules…

The Student Route and Child Student Route is for students aged 4-17 who want to study at an independent school within the UK. This route will open on 5 October 2021 for international students.

Students will require a total of 70 points to be successful for this placement. The points in this system are non-tradeable and will be awarded for meeting the requirements set out in the UK.
Students who were given an offer of a UK Student Visa under the Tier 4 system and make an application before 5 October 2021 will be considered against the current rules for that placement.

Those applying from 5 October 2021 will be considered against the new and simplified UK Student Visa rules.

Students will require an appropriate level of English proficiency to engage with their current course, as they do under the current Tier 4 system.

International students will also now be able to make a visa application for up to 6 months before their course starts and up from 3 months under the Tier 4 system. In this instance, they will not be required to resubmit proof of academic qualifications along with their visa application.

There will continue to be no cap on the number of international students who can come to the UK.

The other route is the Graduate Route for international students. This will open in summer 2021. This will allow eligible international students (including those from India) who have finished their undergraduate and master’s degrees to stay for the duration of two years and those who have completed a PhD to stay for three years to work or continue looking for work.

Ensure all your CAS details are correct

Once you’ve firmly accepted your unconditional offer as well as paid the deposit we will prepare your CAS at Kampus Group. The earliest we can do this is six months before the start date of your course.

Check all the information carefully and follow the instructions to confirm that everything is correct or to report any errors to avoid delays.

  • The CAS will include…
  • your personal details
  • course details
  • a record of any tuition fees already paid, including deposit payments and any university scholarships.
  • A record of your academic and English language qualifications which are required as part of your evidence file in your visa applications

Accommodation fees are not part of your CAS so we strongly advise you not to pay the fees in advance, other than the deposit you will need to pay when booking accommodation to secure a place.

Select a location to collect your BRP

When you submit your online application for your Biometric Residence Permit, you can also confirm where you will collect your official BRP card. Your BRP card is an important immigration document that completes your UK student visa, which is only available to you after you have entered the UK.

If your UK Student Visa is for the duration of six months or less, you will not need a BRP, only an entry vignette.

Submit your documents and biometrics

Once you submit your online application, you’ll make an appointment with a visa application centre to provide the evidence that is required from you.

Please come at the scheduled time and bring your passport and all the original supporting documents that you’ve used in your application. These will be assessed with your visa application and returned to you with your final visa decision.

The application centre staff will also take your biometric information which includes fingerprints and face photos.

In addition, you may also be selected for a ‘credibility interview’. This interview is 5 minutes through a video link with UKVI staff in the UK. The purpose of this is to check that you are coming to the UK as a genuine and real student, so you will be asked questions about the degree you intend on studying, your reasons for studying in the UK while being at your selected university.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *